Thursday, September 29, 2005

Jealousy: an analysis

I am not a person who dwells on feelings for a long period of time. I am not a person who wants to hurt people. I am not a person who gets angry. I am not a person who shows emotion, speaks, or acts without making a conscious decision to do so. However, lately, I find myself all of those people. Whenever I hear that giddy voice, or see that nesciently pernicious creature, I am someone more sinister. Despite all feigned battles, my own Miss Hyde continues inside, eating at the remainder of my restraint and better judgement.
What is this malady? Jealousy, loosely defined as apprension of losing affection or position. Jealousy, an altogether undesirable add-on and modifyer of the most intense emotion known to man. Love, an undefineable bliss made into a blood-thirsty green-eyed monster. I do not have the moral or emotional strength to turn the envious fury to quiet acceptance.
It is said that jealousy is more of self-love than the love of others. This, or course, is true in many ways. Nonetheless, even the most selfless of hearts can be fooled. Those are the hearts that know that they could make the object of their affection happier than anyone else could. It is nearly unsufferable to see someone else taking away your oppotunity to do something better than they could do it, especially when it is as important to you as is the happiness of the person you love.
Unfortunately, as said by Havelock Ellis, Jealousy is a dragon who slays love under the pretense of keeping it alive. The word love implies a selfless desire for the other person's happiness. When jealousy comes in, it dirties the water, and makes it shallow, and yet as treacherous as the ocean. Immersion in this sort of water will contaminate not only your ability to love, but the other aspects of your life as well.
If I can't get a control over the affects of jealousy, I will be doomed to this fate, and my ability to have pure love for someone will be decimated. I will be jealous of everyone continually, and will never be able to be happy in my current situation. This is not the life I want to live, and therefore, I must gain the confidence and strength to quietly bear other girls' actions and feelings. If I remember things will turn out for the better in the end, jealousy will become obsolete. That is the main difference between love and its contaminants (jealousy, lust, selfishness, etc.) : they can and will be conquered by time, harship, and maturity, but love, if kept pure, will never really be conquered whether it's romantic or not.

No comments: