Saturday, September 23, 2006

Outside

How am I to warn you? You barely know me. I'm an outsider. That dog has the eyes of a wolf. You think you love him. Do you really? There, he clasps your hand, not letting you go. Here, he holds you close. Does he love you? Do you wonder the same yourself? I wonder. Is his loyalty self-indulgence? Are his puppy dog looks only used to blind you to the truth of his nature? I fear for you. You were so good. I wanted so badly to get to know you, and to know the precious spirit housed within. Now, what am I to do? Am I to watch him kiss all resistance away? Am I to hear in my head the cliches, how he convinces you how much he needs you, how much he wants to be with you? Do I abandon all hope? I cannot. The tender spirit is still there, and is still precious. I see it in your eyes. But I see it giving itself away. Why? For acceptance? Do you need someone to love you? I don't think you're looking for kisses, for a hand to hold. I think you are giving more of yourself because you just want to ensure that he still gives you that little bit. Simply to have someone. I think I understand the longing, the pull. Still, the more you give, the more he can take away. He has a wolf in his eyes. He's not going to give you what you truly need. He's not going to leave without tearing you apart. Don't be so easily convinced simply because that's what you want, what you need to hear. Please watch out. I wish there was something I could do to make you see, or at least to keep you on your guard. Don't give yourself away. You have so much to give, and he's a wolf for taking it.

2 comments:

Clarice Perry said...

How do you write like that? It was really powerful. I hope that she realizes he is not worth it and dumps him.

Noelle said...

I love how your name is Penelope now