Saturday, January 14, 2006

An Epic (sorta)

I gave without thought of return;
It sounds trite, though true.
Did I any deference earn?
I did, but not from you.

I was utterly selfless.
You took it all as naught.
I repulsed darts when you were helpless,
And all your battles faught.

You barely even mentioned
The perils that I faced:
The enemy castles bastioned,
The evil and abased.

You took my good and broke it
As the soft wing of a dove.
I am sorry that I spoke it,
Who can glory just in love?

You've taken my gifts and sold them,
Or left them on the shelf.
If I was ever bold then,
I'd have assaulted you myself.

Do I deserve to be ground in the dirt?
Left for the great black birds?
Did I cause you any hurt?
Give you any but soft loving words?

My pride has awakened
In all its blind rage.
I won't be forsaken,
Nor put in a cage!

You've played with a fire,
Though it was just coals,
You'll see what you acquire
From spurned good souls!

Your negligence kindling
Your mean words the bellows
Your protection is dwindling,
Don't look to your fellows!

They cannot protect you
As I have once done
You'll get just what is due,
And won't it be fun?

Wait, what is that?
A caring smile?
I'm engaged in combat!
Couldn't it wait just a while?

My anger is gone.
My love has returned.
Was I ever cheated?
Was I ever spurned?

I just can't remember,
All I see are your eyes,
I'll wait to dismember,
Put off the goodbyes.

-Eliza Woodhouse

No comments: